Getting to Know Your Novel with Sarah Aronson 2018
With Sarah Aronson, Cori McCarthy, Heather Alexander, Mary Winn Heider and Laura Sibson
April 15 - 19, 2018
Give your novel the special attention it deserves with this long-form workshop: an activity-based web series paired with a guided writing retreat.
We’d like to invite you to spend the first 3 months of 2018 workshopping your novel (either complete or in-progress) in this unique program led by author and writing teacher Sarah Aronson, with support from several teaching assistants.
Part 1: Weekly Sessions in a Web Classroom
You’ll attend weekly sessions in a web classroom with Sarah and her teaching assistants. She will:
- Outline ways to deepen your understanding of plot, character and revision.
- Host online discussions and respond to questions.
- Post writing exercises, lectures and videos.
- Check in with each student via email weekly, to answer questions and give direction.
- Schedule two phone calls with each student during this period.
Part 1 Notes:
- You can participate in the web classroom at your leisure—no need to attend at a specific time.
- During the online portion, you will be submitting excerpts of your novel as needed, for feedback.
Part 2: Writing and Revising On Your Own
You’ll apply all you learned in Part 1 to your novel–finishing up your draft, or your revision, in preparation for your in-person visit to our Retreat Center.
Part 2 Notes:
- Sarah will be available via phone or email to answer further questions and offer support.
- By March 15, you will submit up to 50 pages of your novel, plus a chapter-by-chapter synopsis, so that the team can get ready for your in-person critique.
- Sarah and the TA’s will be reading up to 50 pages and your synopsis.
Part 3: In-person Workshop at our Retreat Center
Bring your novel to our Retreat Center, where the team will mentor you through your next round of revisions.
Part 3 Notes:
- Each morning will kick off with a general session of lectures and writing exercises.
- Afternoons are reserved for writing and one-on-one critique sessions.
- Each night will end with a chance for you to share your work with faculty and peers.
About the Leaders
Sarah Aronson has an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts, and has published three novels: Head Case, Beyond Lucky, andBelieve. Titles forthcoming include her first nonfiction picture book, Just Like Rube Goldberg (Beach Lane Books) and a chapter book series, “The Worst Fairy Godmother Ever” (Scholastic, 2017). Sarah […]Learn more about Sarah Aronson
Cori McCarthy is the author of four young adult novels: The Color of Rain, Breaking Sky, You Were Here, and the forthcoming Now A Major Motion Picture. She studied screenwriting and poetry before falling in love with writing for young readers at Vermont College of Fine Arts. Breaking Sky received starred reviews from BCCB and School Library Journal and is in development to become a […]Learn more about Cori McCarthy
Heather is an independent book editor with ten years of experience working with authors and artists in children’s book publishing to shape their stories into the best books they can be. She was most recently an agent with Pippin Properties, representing authors and artists for their picture book, middle grade, young adult, and graphic novel […]Learn more about Heather Alexander
Mary Winn Heider is the author of the upcoming debut middle grade book The Mortification of Fovea Munsonfrom Disney/Hyperion (Summer 2018). A second, currently untitled book will follow in Summer 2019. She received an MFA from Vermont College of Fine Arts, and lives in Chicago, where she teaches in Chicago Public Schools with Barrel of […]Learn more about Mary Winn Heider
Raised in the Baltimore suburbs, Laura moved to Philadelphia for her undergraduate degree and then to Virginia and Texas for her first job. After returning east and marrying her college sweetheart, Laura and her husband settled in the Philadelphia suburbs where she pursued her second degree, a Master’s in Education specializing in counseling. After a […]Learn more about Laura Sibson
Category : Novels